Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pity pudding...

Recently I was wallowing again in some pity pudding about my software skills being obsolete. It happens to me occasionally, usually after a programming problem is solved by one of my younger, more agile team mates. The problem is usually easy to fix and obvious. Just not to me at the time. ;-)

It's my problem, not my teammates. It stems from the software industry's constant drive to improve itself with better tools, operating systems, programming paradigms, etc. 

One of the byproducts of this improvement is having to learn all these new things, leaving the knowledge you gained from the last set of tools behind; binary baggage, if you get the pun. I go through another learning shift every few years or so. Most of the facts and know how I'm just getting a handle on is pushed to the side as the next set of tools roll out.

I wonder if a lot of life isn't like this and if this may be the cause for a lot of our inability to make better cultural progress. Are we constantly throwing out the baby with the bath water?

Anyone remember 'I'm OK, you're OK"? How about 'The Peter Principle' or 'Don't Worry Be Happy'. 

Though these may be shallow examples of 'principles' we wanted to understand, I think they show that we're constantly looking for an explanation of why we are what we are. If I'm OK and you're OK says it all, why do I still think you're a twit? ;-)

I think it's time for a nap. At least no one's tried to tell me naps are bad for you. Yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment